08 October 2012

Day One

Day One

We started out with just a lot of paperwork this morning. Normal stuff, making sure everyone's file is in order, direct deposit, etc. Then we started watching some of the training videos.

Around noon, they took us to the truck stop to cash our T-checks and have lunch. After that, we had our physical lifting test: lifting to waist height, to an overhead shelf, carrying the weight, etc. for weights from 10 to 60 pounds.  Lots of reps with the lower weights (15 reps of 10#) and fewer as it got heavier.  Had to lift 50# three times and then carry a 60# crate about 40 feet.  Nothing extremely difficult, but they do watch your heart rate with a monitor the whole time to see that you can not only perform the tasks, but do so in a safe heart rate range.  The really attractive physical therapist guy didn't do my heart rate any favors, I can tell you that ;o)

And then we had our drug test. By the time we were done with all of that, we had time to watch one more training video at the terminal before the day was over.

I brought all of my books back to the hotel with me with me because I want to get ahead on the reading (because I'm a nerd)... and also because I don't watch television and don't have a car here, so there's not a lot to do in the evening. I was still tired today from traveling all weekend, so I'm going to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment