17 November 2012

Deep in the Heart of Texas...

So I ended up waiting for more than 24 hours for a load out of North Carolina, which qualifies as a layover. I looked it up in the binder and layovers are $50 per 24 period. It's something, but nowhere near what you'd make driving.  That truck needs to be moving in order for you to make money. Sitting sucks.

I got my load Friday afternoon. It's a furniture load to Texas and there are ten stops. Eight are scheduled for Monday and two for Tuesday. I debated whether to wait at the North Carolina terminal another 10 hours (with the layover, that would be a 34-hour reset)... but I was so ready to go. I drove until almost 3am and ended up at a Love's in Alabama. I had tried several truck stops and rest stops during the hours leading up to when I finally did stop.... there were either no open spots or (in the case of the rest areas) signs posted everywhere saying "overnight parking prohibited". I'm not keen on getting a ticket... so I kept going. I'm glad I finally found a space because it was beginning to look like I'd have to park on an exit/entrance ramp and that can't possibly be safe (or legal) despite the fact that I see people doing it every day.

My first delivery is about half an hour over the border from Louisiana, which was (according to my phone gps) around 7.5 hours of driving from where I spent Friday night. I decided to drive most of it today (with minimal stopping so that I'd get to a truck stop early enough that I wouldn't have trouble finding an open spot). My fuel stop is near the border of Louisiana and Texas, so I hauled butt and got here just before 8pm (7pm local time). I fueled up and found a parking space close to the building (and well-lit!)

So I'm squeezing in a 34-hour reset and I'm less than an hour from my first delivery on Monday. Take that, time management!

I've just finished up my first month on the road. I'm going to go through my notes and figure out how many miles I've run so far. I bought a month's worth of wifi at Love's, so I should be online more in the next few weeks (and tomorrow, since there's noooooothing else to do off this exit and I'm sat here until Monday morning).

I don't like the radio in my truck. It doesn't have the input thing for an iPod and I tried playing a CD in it, but it scratched the brand new cd all to Hell.... so that's not an option. I just bought a set of "CB extension speakers" at the truck stop for about $15. They are designed to clip to the visor and have the right size input jack for my iPod (and don't require a power supply of their own). I wanted speakers for the iPod in the truck, but didn't want speakers and lots of cables plus an inverter clogging up my dash. This isn't a good solution, but it's better than nothing.  They aren't really loud enough to be hard over the sound of the diesel engine.

My CB radio doesn't work.  A friend's dad used to be a truck driver and he gave me some of his old stuff (the 12v cooler is awesome!). I had one of the shop guys check the wiring in the truck. All the wires and antennae are good (and hot).... but the radio isn't working. I thought maybe I had hooked it up wrong. The shop guy suggested that either the radio was dead or that some CB radios have internal fuses that can go bad. I'll look into that when I have time/money to throw at it. So still no CB.

The windshield mount I got for my phone is great. Makes it really easy to see it for navigation and much easier to make hands-free calls on. I have a cheap hands-free headset (I'm not big on talking on the phone in general, let alone while driving. one more distraction I don't need)... but it's not a bluetooth or cordless. The cord was so short that the phone had to be in my pocket (wouldn't reach to the dash) while I used it. Not convenient. So that mount kit was $6 well spent.

Too bad this truck stop doesn't have laundry facilities. I need to find a place to do laundry in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment