25 November 2012

Thanksgiving in Tupelo

So my load to Tupelo. It couldn't be delivered on Thanksgiving because they were closed. The last I spoke with my dispatcher was Wednesday morning (when I was finishing up the furniture load.... picked up the load bound for Tupelo in the afternoon) and she said she was trying to get me a delivery appointment. I called the place myself several times on Wednesday afternoon after I picked up the load... but no one answered the phone. I figured they'd just gotten off early for Thanksgiving or something so I didn't really pay it much mind.

I drove all the way to Tupelo on Thanksgiving and drove to the customer first thing the next morning (I got there about 15 minutes before they opened). I parked in a nearby parking lot and waited until 8am to call and ask about setting up a delivery time. Apparently they only unload from 8am to Noon and they were fully booked for the day. Crap. The office manager had me park on the side of their lot and wait and said they'd do their best to get me in. I called my dispatcher and asked (if the customer couldn't unload me until Monday) could I drop the trailer at our Mississippi terminal (about 30 miles away) and another driver could deliver it on Monday rather than me sitting around for three days. She said no other driver would be available to do it... and it really did look like I was going to be hanging out in Tupelo until Monday. They did finally manage to squeeze me into their unloading schedule after 11am. Yay!

My next load was dropping my empty trailer at our Mississippi terminal, hooking to an already loaded trailer and heading west. I'd never been to New Mexico or Arizona, so I was kinda excited about it. I still can't get over how much the scenery here makes me want to watch roadrunner cartoons.

It's Sunday night and I've pulled into a truck stop in Arizona for the night.

I had a guy tell me this morning that I should forget about truck driving and look into prostitution... because I'd make a lot more money. He used that as a segue into hitting on me and was genuinely surprised when I didn't go for it. I hadn't had enough coffee yet for that conversation to be even remotely funny. Most of the people I meet are really nice, but some of them are such creeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment