05 December 2012

Under the Weather in Idaho

My load out of Los Angeles had stops in Oregon and Washington, so I hooked early in the morning (so as not to be caught in rush hour traffic in L.A.) and drove as far north as I could and then found a Love's to pull into for Saturday night. It was only four hours to my first stop (which I couldn't make until Monday morning anyway), so I had an easy day of driving on Sunday.

My load routing on this trip made no sense at all. It had me making a stop in central Oregon, then backtracking 130 miles to a town I had just driven through to make another, then continuing up to Washington state. I shave six hours and a lot of miles off my trip by just switching around those two stops.

My third stop was our Vancouver, Washington terminal. I didn't get there until late afternoon, so I drove over to our drop yard to spend the night. There was a truck stop about ten miles away, but my back was killing me and I just couldn't drive any more that day. They unloaded me early in the morning and then I spent Tuesday driving to our Spokane terminal. I got there in the afternoon and they had me bump the dock so that they could unload the rolls of carpet, but left the furniture on the trailer and told me to drop it in the drop yard and take one of the empties.

At this point, I was feeling pretty ill. I'm 99% sure I have food poisoning from something I ate yesterday. I couldn't find the drop yard (had turned down the wrong street in the industrial park) and called a driver friend for help. He asked me to look around and tell him if I saw a water tower. I saw it. The drop yard is right next to the water tower. Why the heck didn't someone put that on the terminal map? That was really helpful.

I dropped and hooked and drove to the Love's I knew was about 10 miles away (just over the border in Idaho). I parked and made it into the bathroom just in time to be really sick. So I'm taking a day to just hydrate and sleep.

That was probably TMI. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment