08 September 2012

CDL Training - Week One Wrap-Up

First week of CDL training is in the bag.

I can't help but think that, like so many other things in life, you get out of CDL training what you put into it.  I could see how someone could learn just enough to pass the tests... or you can make sure you know as much as possible about driving a truck.  I took out a big loan to pay for school and I intend to get as much out of it as possible.  I don't do anything half-assed... if I'm going to be a trucker, I will be the best possible trucker I can be. 

We had to go to school today (Saturday) because Monday was Labor Day.  Today, we learned about map reading and did a lot of review.  We also took our last written tests.  The last three guys who needed to pass their permit exam all passed today, so we can all hit the range on Monday.  Our "homework" for the weekend (whatever's left of it) is to read through the Pre-Trip Inspection and try to commit as much of it to memory as possible.

Excited to actually be in the trucks next week.  I've never even been in the cab of a semi before.

Going to record me reading the "pre-trip inspection" and "brake test" pages on my iPod.  I learn better with audio than with visual stuff.  I'm nauseated by the sound of my own voice though.  It's always so much higher than I expect it to be.  Could Jeremy Irons read my homework for me please?  That's be lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment