06 September 2012

Class A Permit Exam

The morning started out with a recruiter from Averitt.  I was a few minutes late (which I hated... I think it's so rude to be late and I usually show up very early for anything. Disappointed in myself for sleeping through both of my morning alarms)  I'll do better tomorrow.

Today we reviewed for our Class A permit exam.  We had a lot of fun.  The guys in my class are really sharp and the review went fast.  Then our instructor handed out cookies (but I couldn't have any because I can't eat wheat).

We broke for lunch at noon and we all went our separate ways to forage for food and then make our way to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.  The wait time was less than five minutes, which was unexpected and really nice.  I was sent to a computer to take the "general knowledge" portion of the exam. Then I waited a few minutes, then another person sent me to the computer kiosks to take the "air brakes" part of the test.  Then waited a few minutes, then a third person sent me to the computers again to take the "combination vehicles" portion of the exam.  The wait wasn't long, I just found all the shuffling around to be quite silly.  Why not have the other two portions of the test follow the main section?  Just my two cents.

The only snag came when I had had finished the final part of the test, waited my turn and then was sent to yet a fourth person to get the actual permit.  She photocopied my DOT physical exam paperwork (which the first clerk who handled me had already copied) and then took my license.  She looked at the computer and then told me that I had to take the "operator exam" (which is the general test you have to pass in order to have a driving license in the state of Indiana).  I told her that her computer was wrong.  Her supervisor came over to "help".  She said that I had to take the "operator exam" if I wanted to transfer my license to Indiana (I already have an Indiana license). Then she said that my license must be expired (it wasn't... two more years before it expires).  The she said that I must "have some points" on my license (again, not true.  There are no points on my license).  Eventually, the clerk figured it out.  She'd checked the wrong box and the computer thought I wanted to be a chauffeur or something. 

One of the guys in my class, instead of having him wait a few minutes for an open computer (or even giving him that option), they had him take a paper test. Then he had to wait for someone to grade the paper test and officially enter his score. He must have been stuck there all afternoon doing all three sections of the test. Poor guy!

My entire visit to the BMV took less than 45 minutes.  Except for the crazy woman who almost rammed into my car as I left (she was driving on the wrong side of the road), it was actually kinda fun.

Yeah, I just had fun at the BMV.... maybe I need to get out more!?







No comments:

Post a Comment