05 September 2012

Why I chose my CDL program

I looked at a number of different trucking schools and at company training programs (where the company itself teaches you how to drive instead of you attending an independent CDL school). There was a school about 50 miles away, but the only financing they offered was through a specific transport company that required you to sign a one year contract and to spend the first six months of that contract as a team driver.

 No, thank you.

I know I'll have to share a cab with another driver during the initial training phase, but I have no desire to be a team driver. The school I chose is actually just outside South Bend, Indiana. Their financing process is that you take out a loan and then (hopefully) whichever trucking company you work for agrees to make a specified loan payment (not deducted from your salary, in addition to it) each month that you work for them.

Not all companies offer loan reimbursement, but a lot of them do.  It's a good incentive.

No contract. I like the freedom of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment