11 September 2012

Off-set Parking and More Driving Practice

This morning, we were shown how to do off-set parking.  Off-set parking is when you pull forward and then back into the lane/space right next to the one you just occupied.  Like if you needed to back up one space over at a loading dock, for example.

I managed to do it once, then by the time I pulled back forward to do it again, I forgot which cone I was supposed to be looking for and out of which mirror.  I also got really frustrated with the other student in the cab.  I was looking for the instructor so I could ask him to show us off-set parking one more time, but instead he had me go in another truck where a senior student was doing laps around the entire compound to practice shifting.  We switched off and I managed to shift from three through fifth gears and downshift back again... and (after a little practice) could do it with no grinding whatsoever.

After lunch, we went back out to the sidestreets by the airport to practice in groups.  My newfound shifting/downshifting skills did not come with me for the trip.  I did much better at double-clutching today and shifting up in gear is going really well, but downshifting is still really hard.

Baby steps.

We worked on the four-point brake checks and pre-trip inspections again today.  I remember what/where all the parts were, now it's a matter of memorizing the list and what can go wrong with each piece.  I took some pictures with my phone in case I needed the reference, but I hope I don't need to refer to them.  Our instructor also uncoupled a truck and trailer so that we could look more closely at the coupling system.

Tomorrow, I need to get more practice in off-set parking.  Also, we are learning how to couple and uncouple tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment